Friday, April 11, 2014

First Impressions

     In what I have read so far, I have connected with the character Beatrice the most. I connected with this character because she is a witty person. The way she speaks reminds me of the way I argue sometimes. Beatrice uses cutting words and phrases to make her opponent back down or get nervous and unable to rebuke with a comeback. She is a mean and rude person, but only to Benedick. This is another reason I connect with Beatrice because I only act in this manner when it is necessary and the person deserves to be treated that way.
     A quote which I found humorous from Beatrice was in the first scene when she and Benedick began to talk. After Benedick says a remark to someone else, Beatrice says, "I wonder that you will still be talking, Signior Benedick: nobody marks you" (3). I found this quote funny because she is so rude and blunt. I was amused at the way she does not care how mean she is to Benedick. I predict that in the future, Benedick and Beatrice may have some more issues. I believe that they may continue to banter in such a manner until something causes them to either cause harm to one another or unite in some way, whether it be in a relationship or just working together to solve an issue.
     A quote I found confusing in this scene was when the messenger is speaking of Benedick's uncle's reaction to letters he had delivered to him. The messenger says, "I have already delivered him letters, and there appears much joy in him - even so much that joy could not show itself modest enough without a badge of bitterness" (2). This quote was confusing to me because the old Shakespearean language is difficult for me to understand completely. After focusing on the quote, I found that the messenger was saying that the uncle was so overjoyed and emotional that it looked as if he was in pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home