Sunday, May 4, 2014

Character Analysis #1

     A character I connect with is Beatrice. I connect with this character because I am an independent person, and so is she. Beatrice does not wish to depend on anyone for happiness, and I feel the same way. Though she and I are both independent, we are very different. Beatrice and I are different for many reasons. One reason is that she does not ever wish to find love and wants to die alone. I wouldn't mind one day falling in love. I think it would be way too lonely for my heart to handle to die alone. Beatrice is also a witty person, which is another reason we are alike.
     Beatrice contributes to the plot by creating a bitter tone. She says many nasty remarks and is very negative, especially when it comes to the subject of love. One quote which captures her nature is in the scene in which she, Leonato, and Antonio are discussing her ill-temper. Leonato brings to her attention that she will not find a husband if she continues to say harsh things about people. She speaks of a stereotype that says women who die unmarried go to the gates of hell, and Leonato asks if she will go to hell. She then replies, "No, but to the gate, and there will the devil meet me like an old cuckold with horns on his head, and say, 'Get you to heaven, Beatrice, get you to heaven; here’s no place for you maids.' So deliver I up my apes and away to Saint Peter. For the heavens, he shows me where the bachelors sit, and there live we as merry as the day is long" (Act 2, Scene 1: pg 40). This quote typifies Beatrice because she is speaking of dying independent and not minding it. This quote also shows how Beatrice is witty because she is being humorous about going to hell and being sent to heaven instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home